Pinay missing after Taiwan quake: A Filipino woman was reported missing following the magnitude 6.4 earthquake that hit the popular tourist city of Hualien in Taiwan on Wednesday.
In an interview on Balitanghali, Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) chief Lito Banayo said the Filipina works as a caretaker in a nursing home inside the building that collapsed during the quake.
“Sa ngayon, retrieval efforts pa, so hindi pa natin alam kung [ligtas] siya,” Banayo said.
Taiwan has no formal diplomatic relations with the Philippines in deference to the One-China Policy, which prevents countries from recognizing the self-ruling democratic island as a state. The Philippines is represented in Taiwan by MECO.
Banayo said MECO is trying to contact the Filipino's family in the Philippines through her labor broker to inform them of the situation.
“Posibleng nagpunta ng diretso sa ospital, kung merong minor injury. Kaya ‘yung team naman natin ng MECO ay nagpupunta rin sa mga ospital para mai-check kung sino mang Pilipino ang nandodon,” Banayo said.
Labor Attache Cesar Chavez and other officials from the Representative Office of the Philippines in Taiwan were dispatched to hospitals and the police station to look for any injured Filipinos. They, however, had difficulties reaching the hospital due to road closures.
Banayo said they have yet to hear cases of injured Filipinos but confirmed that none of the deceased found by responding authorities were Filipino.
“So far, ang na-report na ng police na casualty, as in dead, ay dalawa, pero hindi naman Pilipino ang dalawang ito. May mga iba na nasa ospital, at nag-dispatch na tayo ng team kaninang umaga,” he said.
Some 40,000 homes were left without water and 1,900 without power in Hualien, home to at least 100,000 people. — GMA News