The increasing number of children getting killed under the Duterte administration’s brutal crackdown against illegal drugs is getting alarming, Senator Nancy Binay said on Saturday as outrage over the killing of a Grade 11 student in Caloocan City mounted.

“The deaths of these children are extremely enraging and brought me a heavy heart. And like every parent, I fear for the safety of my children. Kian could have been my son or daughter, or any policeman’s child for that matter,” Binay said in a statement.

Binay assured the public that the Senate will do its part to bring justice to the families through Senate investigations and warned that the “rogue cops” involved in the killings will be made accountable for the killings.

Binay’s statement came after Kian Loyd delos Santos, a 17-year-old student, was killed for allegedly fighting against the police that conducted anti-drug operations in Libis Baisa, Barangay 160, Caloocan City. However, a CCTV footage showed Delos Santos being manhandled by the police shortly before he was found dead.

“We in the Senate will act on this. To the rogue cops, you will have your day in the Senate investigations, you will all be made accountable for murder,” she said.

The senator also appealed to the Philippine National Police (PNP) to respect the rule of law and due process and called on its leadership not to “turn a blind eye” to the deaths and investigate and arrest those responsible for the killings.

“Walang panalo sa giyerang ito, tayo ang talunan dito (No one wins in this war, we all lose),” she added.

“Nakaka-alarma at nakakabahala na pati mga menor-de-edad ngayon ay hindi na ligtas at nagiging biktima na rin. Hindi na po katanggap-tanggap na sabihing isang isolated case lang ito,” Binay said.

(It has become alarming that even minors are no longer safe and even become victims. It’s no longer acceptable to call this case isolated case.)

Binay said children are paying for the price of fumbled police operations. Since last year, the anti-drug campaign has claimed the lives of five-year-old Danica May Garcia; five-year-old Francisco Manosca; Kristine Joy Sailog, 12; Emmanuel Lorica, 17, among others.

“Ilang inosenteng bata na ang nadadamay, at hindi mapapawi ng mga ‘sorry’ ang galit at lungkot ng mga magulang (Many innocent children had already been included as victims, and ‘sorry’ is just not enough to take away the parents’ anger and sorrow),” she said.

Binay also expressed her sympathies to Kian’s family and called for justice for the student and other children killed in the controversial anti-drug campaign.

“Nakikidalamhati po ako sa mga mahal sa buhay ni Kian, alam kong mabigat sa mga magulang niya ang kanyang kawalan, lalo na at sa ganung pangyayari (I am sympathizing with Kian’s loved ones. I know his death is hard for his parents, especially with how it happened). I also cry for justice for Kian and other children whose lives were lost because of this violent campaign.”

News Source: Inquirer.net


x

Related Posts

Donaire dominates Garcia Hernandez to win WBC silver belt
Former world champion Nonito "The Filipino Flash" Donaire made a victorious return to the ring as he comprehensively outpointed Ruben Garcia Hern...
'We'll see our sons again': Dad of Benilde hazing victim comforts Atio's family
The father of Guillo Cesar Servando, a victim of fatal hazing in 2014, offered solace Sunday to the family of University of Santo Tomas (UST) stu...
Castillo parents fail to meet suspect in son's hazing
The parents of Horacio Castillo III trooped to the Manila Police District headquarters Sunday but failed to meet a primary suspect in the fatal h...
powered by RelatedPosts

Pin It on Pinterest

Shares
Share This

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

GET REGULAR UPDATES,

Simply Enter Your Name & Best Email.

x