US President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin held a second, previously undisclosed conversation during a dinner for G20 leaders at a summit earlier this month in Germany, a White House official confirmed on Tuesday.

The two leaders held a formal two-hour bilateral meeting on July 7 in which Trump later said Putin denied allegations that he directed efforts to meddle in the 2016 US presidential election.

The White House official did not say how long the second meeting took place or what was discussed.

The second conversation between Trump and Putin took place during a dinner for the Group of 20 heads of state and their spouses in Hamburg, said Ian Bremmer, the president of political risk consultancy Eurasia Group, who was first to report the meeting in a note to clients.

Television coverage of the dinner showed that first lady Melania Trump was seated next to Putin.

Bremmer said Trump got up from his seat halfway through dinner and spent about an hour talking “privately and animatedly” with Putin, “joined only by Putin's own translator.”

The lack of a US translator raised eyebrows among other leaders at the dinner, said Bremmer, who called it a “breach of national security protocol.”

Trump is under intense scrutiny by Congress and a special counsel investigating Russian interference into the 2016 presidential election, and probing whether Trump's campaign had ties to the activity. Trump has denied collusion between his campaign and Moscow.

Reporting by Steve Holland; Writing by Eric Beech; Editing by Jonathan Oatis

News Source: ABS-CBN NEWS


x

Related Posts

War-shut MSU Marawi ready for opening on August 22 —military
KIDAPAWAN CITY —After nearly three months of temporary closure due to the battle between government troops and the pro-ISIS Maute terror group, t...
Trillanes to ask for Gordon's removal as Senate blue ribbon chair
Opposition Senator Antonio Trillanes IV on Saturday said he is planning to ask his fellow senators next week to remove Senator Richard Gordon as ...
Students in Quezon City 'food poisoning' incident blame choco shake
Some of the students who were rushed to hospitals in Novaliches in Quezon City after experiencing symptoms of food poisoning blamed the choco sha...
powered by RelatedPosts

Pin It on Pinterest

Shares
Share This

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

GET REGULAR UPDATES,

Simply Enter Your Name & Best Email.

x