A Filipino father and his daughter were electrocuted in their own home in the Panorama City neighborhood of LA in the early hours on Monday, Jan. 25.
The victims, who died at the scene of the accident, were identified by the coroner’s office as Ferdinand Tejada, 53, and Janine Reyn Tejada, 20, according to a San Fernando Valley Sun report. Firefighters went to the family’s home in the 14700 block of Tupper Street about 2:45 a.m.
Ferdinand Tejada was reportedly born in the Philippines and Janine Reyn Tejada was a graduate of Granada Hills Charter High School and studied Science in Nursing at West Coast University, according to a Facebook post.
According to media reports, Ferdinand Tejada went outside after he heard a “loud pop” in the backyard. He was electrocuted when he came into contact with live electrical wires. His daughter went to his aid and also was electrocuted.
Authorities said both the father and daughter died immediately, and that emergency crews had to wait for the power supply to be turned off before approaching the victims.
Ferdinand Tejada’s wife told authorities she felt a shock from the electric current but managed to get away and called 911. She was told to stay inside until emergency crews arrived, media reported.